Pages

Friday, June 11, 2010

MUST SEE:

Movie Review:  It's Complicated


I know I don't typically 'review' movies here at Point Breeze Palaver, but I knew I had to make an exception after I watched one of the funnier movies I had seen in a while.  Let me give you a quick run down of the plot: Janey and Jake were married for almost 20 years, however are now divorced, with Jane being single and Jake remarried to a much younger 'trophey wife'.  Jane and Jake have three children together who are now young adults.  Their only son is graduating from college in New York City, and while coincidentally staying in the same hotel, Jane and Jake find themselves both sitting at the hotel bar the night before the ceremony.  Rather than eating alone, they opt to attempt to keep each other company.  One glass of wine leads to three bottle, which leads to glasses of Bourbon, which of course leads to shots of tequila, lots of dancing and a trip back to Jake's room.

From there, several awkward but hilarious moments ensue, with only a few select girlfriends of Jane knowing about the secret tryst between the two.  Until their older daughters fiance witnesses a lovers meeting in the middle of the day.  Shocked, confused and very uneasy about the whole situation, Harley tries to keep his mouth shut, again making for some pretty awkward and funny scenes. 

Comedy aside, the plot actually keeps you guessing.  I found myself wondering the entire time how it would end.  Though many of the moments and scenes were typical comedy (but still pretty damn funny), the outcome was not as predictable.  Not a lot of comedies can hold an audience's attention in that manner, but this one certainly did.  The dynamic between the children, and the chemistry between Jake and Jane was perfect.  I have to be honest, I am not a huge Meryl Streep fan, but this is one of her movies that really hit the mark.  It didn't hurt having Alec Baldwin, Steve Martin and John Krasinski in the line up either.

My favorite part of the film?  The party/bathroom scene: Warning, if you'd rather watch the whole film, don't click HERE, but if you would like a good laugh, go on and click it! (6:51 for my all time favorite scene!)

No comments:

Post a Comment