Pages

Monday, June 14, 2010

New Obsession

I have to admit, I've never been a huge reader.  I read what was required of me while I was in middle and high school, and typically 'skimmed' the majority of them.  Reading was never something I enjoyed, unless I found something that really sparked my interest.  I remember loving the 'Baby-sitter's Little Sisters' books, as well as The Face on the Milk Carton and Hatchet, but that was pretty much it.  Towards the end of my high school career I got really into the Harry Potter books and of course, like any other American, I've been truly take with the Twilight Saga.  Ok, so I've read a few books here and there, but nothing like my mother or sister who is always reading a different book every time I see them.  Unless I'm REALLY into it, I can't bring myself to read it.

 
Emily Giffin.  What a fabulous author!  I've only read two of her books, but I know I will be reading all of the rest as soon as I can get my hands on them.  At the request of my future sister-in-law, I first read 'Something Borrowed'.  I'm pretty sure I read it in just a few days and instantly felt like I knew Rachel, Dex and Darcy personally.  There is something to be said about an author who can develop a relationship between its characters and the reader so quickly and effortlessly.  Many books are good at describing their characters and giving you every detail about them, but the ability to connect them to the reader the way Giffin does is flawless.

I happened to be in Florida when I finished reading 'Something Borrowed' and I just couldn't wait to read 'Something Blue' so I bought it while I was in Atlanta Airport waiting for our flight home.  Now I must say, it took me a little longer to read 'Something Blue', which I believe is due to the fact that I despised it's main character by the end of 'Something Borrowed' and wasn't sure I really wanted to hear her 'after story'.  But Giffin worked her magic (again) and I finished it with a smile on my face wanting more.



So many people hate when a good book becomes a movie.  They feel it's a sellout tactic and never really lives up to the book, which most of the time is true.  But I love when they turn a brilliant book into a movie!  It allows you to compare your imagination to those in Hollywood and see how accurate they are.  I was thrilled to learn that 'Something Borrowed' is currently being filmed as we speak (type).  The cast so far seems pretty on point (at least as far as my interpretation goes), and I cannot WAIT for it's release!

No comments:

Post a Comment