Pages

Sunday, November 7, 2010

A Kind Heart

I had quite the 7th district day on Saturday. I picked up my best friend, who is now a resident of Pennsylvania but happened to be home this weekend, and we made our way to the one and only Abell’s Diner. I’ve told you about Abell’s before, and they are still just as good as ever. I’m pretty sure the menu hasn’t changed in 25 years, but that’s ok, because they have the best breakfast around, and a pretty mean lunch menu too. With a recent paint job and a few new windows, Abell’s Diner is now a little more up-to-date then it had been.

Then later that evening my mom and sister joined me at basket bingo at the 7th district rescue squad. We won absolutely nothing, except a few extra calories thanks to the delicious desserts they had, but it was all for a good cause, so I can’t complain too much.

Another reason I’m not complaining? Because we got to visit with one of the first neighbors I ever had. No I don’t remember her since I was a newborn when we lived next door, but she remembered my sister and I. A kind woman in her 90’s, she is everything I hope to be when I am her age. She volunteers the majority of her time to good causes and when she’s not doing that, she’s taking care of her husband who is also in his 90’s and not in the best of health. Still driving and still doing for others, this woman has a heart of gold, and I truly believe that is the key to a long and happy life. She is an inspiration for those who are searching for something to fulfill their lives.

Upon telling her that I’d just gotten married and that we’re living in Colton’s Point, she smiled and hugged me and said, “I was wondering who lived there now! You’ve got some great neighbors.” And she’s right about that…the neighbors she is referring to actually left a delicious bowl of soup on our stoop last week, and came over to witness some very important paperwork we were filling out too. But more on that exciting news later…All this talk about neighbors opened the door to the sweetest comment I’ve heard in some time. Because this woman and her husband live on the road my father grew up on and owned the house my parents rented as newlyweds and new parents, I knew exactly what she was talking about. “There are a lot of new people moving down here into the 7th, so I’m glad to hear you’re living down here too. You know, it’s a shame, because all these new people, they just aren’t as nice as we are.” To read this you may think, well that’s a snobby comment, but to know this woman, you’d understand what she was saying. “You know, if I wasn’t so old and had the energy I’d try to organize something for the neighborhood, you know, well I guess block party isn’t the right word, but something like that so we can all get to know each other. But I just don’t have the time…” And she was 100% genuine in wanting to know all her new neighbors.

It made me want to throw a block party in our neighborhood, but with the cold weather coming in, it may not happen for awhile. Thank you to this wonderful and special woman who was able to inspire me to be a better person just in the 15 minutes we spent chatting with her. If the world were made up of more people like her, it would most certainly be a better place.

1 comment:

  1. I was so impressed by Abell's new make over that I had to get Melissa and Rusty to check it out Sunday Morning!! Miss you and wish hunting season abell's breakfasts happened more often! :)

    ReplyDelete