Pages

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Thanksgiving Ten

The countdown to Thanksgiving continues...9 days away and what I happen to be thankful for today, even if it is a little silly!

#9.

11.16.2010 – Today, I am thankful for Taylor Swift. Before you start cringing or rolling your eyes, give me a chance to explain. I’ve always been a little skeptical of Miss Swift. I’d be quick to dislike her songs, but after a few more listens it would be my new ring tone. I just couldn’t help but like her music. She was somewhat of a fresh breath of air in the country industry, along with the likes of Lady Antebellum and Miranda Lambert. But I was still hesitant to jump on the bandwagon. I mean this girl was asking for it, being a young celebrity and wearing her heart 100% on her sleeve. She was bound to be swallowed whole by the entertainment industry.

But somehow she’s managed to stay true to her roots. One of the most popular performers out there, in the country scene AND mainstream she’s still got her head on her shoulders and her heart on her sleeve. As usual I heard the song, “Mine” off her new album Speak Now and thought, “geesh, she’s washed up already…all her music sounds the same.” But then it happened again; the more I listened, the more hooked I was. It really is a well written song with a catchy tune. Curiosity peeked, I made my way to the iTunes store (yes, I’m one of only 2 people I know that actually download music LEGALLY!) and purchased the entire Speak Now album.



The girl didn’t let me down either. The album is great and filled with heartfelt songs about boys, life, challenges and more boys. I worried about her, thinking that wearing your heart on your sleeve at such a young age could backfire and cause her a lot of grief and ridicule, but it seems to have done just the opposite. Her music is full of truth and emotion that you’ve got to respect. So many ‘artists’ are shoved in a studio because they have the tiniest bit of talent and parents with very deep pockets, and sing meaningless lyrics about the club or ‘love’, the studio auto-tunes the hell out of them and then jam them down your throat all packaged together in a skanky little marketing scheme. But not Taylor Swift, she’s authentic, and you can tell just by listening to her music. She’s still young and there is time for her to be influenced by the horrors of Hollywood…but she helped me get through my drive to work this morning with a smile on my face!

Personal favorites of the new album: Dear John, Speak Now, and Never Grow Up

No comments:

Post a Comment