Pages

Monday, November 22, 2010

The Thanksgiving Ten

Just days away from Thanksgiving, we've reached:

#3

Today I am thankful for creative writing.  Without it, I don't think I would have ever made it through school.  It took every ounce of focus and energy I had to read a textbook, and honestly once I was finished my assigned reading, I had thought of 15 other things, and totally skimmed the words without actually reading them.  Without creative writing we wouldn't have some of the best books in the world. 

Without creativity, there is no escape from reality which is what we're all really looking for anyway.  That's why we watch TV, go to the movies, download catchy pop songs and read fiction books.  Even some of the greatest stories based on 'actual events' have been embellished for dramatic effect.

This post is likely inspired by my recent trip to the pit known as the Lexington Park movie theatre to see the most recent installment of the Harry Potter Series.  It's a great example of how successfully and entertaining creative writing can be.  I used to work at a day camp for kids, and I'll never forget talking with my fellow counselors and discussing how important it was to let the kids have some unplanned time to use the things around them, especially their imaginations, and come up with something fun and entertaining to do.



A mind is a beautiful thing to waste, so let it run free once and a while and do a little creative writing, you might be surprised at what you come up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment